Today I (Lydia) had the honor of speaking at career day at Hayesville Middle School. One of the questions that I was asked was "what do you love most about your job?" I figured that this question would be asked, but I was honestly not as prepared for it as I should have been. But I am glad that I wasn't prepared for this question because it allowed me to honestly answer from the heart. Here's what I said:
"My favorite part of the wedding industry and being a wedding planner is being able to see people's dream day come true." For those of you that don't know, I wanted to be a wedding planner in the fifth grade. So while every other little girls was dreaming about their wedding day, I was dreaming about other people's wedding day. (With my own fantasies thrown in here and there - I mean what girl doesn't dream about their wedding day?)
Now that I am not on the spot and have more time to think about my answer here are a few more reasons why I absolutely LOVE being a wedding planner:
1. I love being around the people. There is just something about being around someone that is happy and excited to be planning their big day and they have asked me to be a part of it. Every time this happens I think back to those fifth grade days and can't help but think this is it! This is what I've always dreamt of!
2. I love playing a part in all the details. Stress is high that day and things get forgotten. That's where I come in. I make sure no detail is left behind and I take care of things that you wouldn't have thought would make a difference.
3. I love having a terrific team of vendors on my side. I get a rush when I work with like-minded people who also want to make your wedding day the best that it can be!
4. Three words. Daddy Daughter Dance. Have you ever really watched one of these? They are the sweetest and I don't usually get emotional at weddings, but there have been a few where I can just not contain myself from crying when I see this special moment between a bride and her father.
5. Two more words. First Look. There have been a few first looks that I have had the opportunity to witness and they are the most precious moments! I have seen grown men drop to their knees because they are just so blown away by their beautiful bride.
6. Which brings me to point #6 - the wow factor. Every moment of someone's wedding day is just wow to me. From the flowers, to the cake, to the decor. They all give me chills when I see all those months of planning finally coming together.
7. The friendships that develop. I work so closely with my couples and their families that it is hard not to get close to them and form friendships. I try to keep up with them on social media even after they are married. I love seeing pictures of their married life together and I love the love and support they give me as well!
8. I get to plan parties every day. 'Nuff said.
Even though my job has days where nothing is going right and problems arise right and left, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I am living my dream and I appreciate all of you for joining me on this journey!